St. Andrew’s Church in Heisdorf
The first written trace of a chapel in Heisdorf remounts to the year 1570.
As the building was too small and of modest artistic value, the idea of a new construction came up in the early 20th century.
In 1905, the American immigrant Bernard Tonnar, who was originary from Heisdorf, offered the funds for the construction of a new church. It was built from 1906 to 1908 according to a design by the architect Paul Funck and consecrated on July 20, 1908, by the dean of Luxembourg City, Bernard Haal. It was placed under the protection of the Saints Andrew and Donatus.
In the 1950s, new stained glass windows were placed, and in 1974, a thorough restoration was made, under the lead of the architect Carlo Warisse and with contributions of the artists Ben Heyart and Pitt Nicolas. The new altar was consecrated on February 13, 1977, by Msgr. Jean Hengen, bishop of Luxembourg.